The demand for supplements that support cognitive health is booming. Although aging is associated with declining memory, the alarming news is that symptoms of cognitive deficiencies are occurring more frequently and exhibited in younger age groups as well. As research develops consumers are seeking a wide array of botanicals and nutrients that could help boost brain functions and improve moods.
According to the Nutrition Business Journal (Oct 2009) trends in 2010 are predicted to favor ingredients that help improve cognitive health. According to this report, 2010 is the right time for new cognitive health products that will help stressed out professionals, children and the elderly improve their moods and enhance their mental acuities.
Who’s Looking for a Brain Boost?
Data from the 2007 Health & Wellness Trends from the Natural Marketing Institute (NMI is a market research organization based in Pennsylvania), shows that 71% of the general population is concerned about memory loss.Those over 65. The Alzheimer’s Association estimates that every 70 seconds, someone in the United States develops Alzheimer’s. By 2050, this will increase to every 33 seconds. Older African Americans (two times more likely) and Hispanics (one and half times more likely) are considered more likely to get Alzheimer’s than older white people.Longer life expectancies and a growing baby boomer population will add to the growth of the aging population.Half a million Americans under 65 suffer from some form of cognitive deficiency.
Research behind the Brain
Although there is no cure for dementia, research reveals that there may be controllable factors and preventative strategies that could be adopted for either delaying or even possibly avoiding age-related decline in cognitive health.
Nutraceuticals support healthy brain functions through a number of mechanisms. They work as antioxidants protecting cellular integrity; they help to improve blood flow to the brain and exhibit anti-inflammatory effects.
Nutraceuticals for Cognitive Health
Algal DHA / omega 3 fatty acids1 is known to improve learning skills and memory in older adults.Turmeric2 has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits. It is known to have a positive influence on neurotransmitter production.Chromium Picolinate3 may improve memory functions in elderly adults.Sage extracts4 have cholinergic effect and therefore improve cognitive abilities.Brahmi5, Bacopa monnieri, a traditional herb from India, dates back thousands of years and is used to increase intelligence and improve memory.Resveratrol6,helps to promote blood flow to the brain and impacts cognitive functions.Vitamin D7, a lack of this vitamins in the body is associated with impaired cognitive functions in the elderly.
Phosphatidylcholine8 is possibly he most well-researched brain nutrient showing significant improvement in memory retention, learning and concentration in middle-aged and elderly individuals suffering from impaired memory functions. Huperzine A9 is a neuroprotective agent. It is known to improve memory and learning performance among adolescent students and the elderly.B12 vitamin and folate10 are important micronutrients that support healthy brain functions.Citicoline11 is ubiuitous. Its presence is in every cell assuring its structural integrity and signaling functions of cell membranes. Citicoline can cross the blood-brain barrier. Cognizin®, is a clinically proven generally recognized as safe (GRAS) ingredient that supports memory functions and cognitive skills.
Cognitive health supplements are typically manufactured in capsule form as they offer higher stability and longer shelf life.However, drink mixes have also become quite popular as of late.
Manufacturing Cognitive Health Supplements
If your company is interested in meeting the growing demand for cognitive health supplements, you should partner with an experienced supplement manufacturer such as Nutricap Labs.
Since 2003, Nutricap Labs has been providing companies of all sizes with exemplary nutraceutical manufacturing solutions. They have a state-of-the-art GMP certified laboratory and a team of in-house product advisors that will work closely with you to formulate your own line of high-quality cognitive health supplements that will meet the needs of your target audience. They also offer in-house packaging, labeling and order fulfillment solutions.
If selling a custom formula is not currently in your business plans and you’d prefer to privatelabel your own line of cognitive health supplements, you are in luck! Nutricap Labs’ private labeling division, Vitacap Labs, offers private labeling services with minimums as low as 96 bottles and product lead times as little as 3 to 5 weeks.
Call (800) 494-6154 to speak to a Nutricap Labs representative or click here to receive a free quote in as little as 48 hours.
1. Cognitive and cardiovascular benefits of docosahexaenoic acid in aging and cognitive decline, Curr Alzheimer Res. 2010 May 1;7(3):190-6.
2. Curcumin has potent anti-amyloidogenic effects for Alzheimer’s -amyloid fibrils in vitro, Journal of Neuroscience Research, Volume 75 Issue 6, Pages 742 – 750
3. Improved cognitive-cerebral function in older adults with chromium Supplementation, Nutr Neurosci. 2010 Jun;13(3):116-22.
4. Effects of Cholinesterase Inhibiting Sage (Salvia officinalis) on Mood, Anxiety and Performance on a Psychological Stressor Battery, Neuropsychopharmacology (2006) 31, 845-852.
5. Brahmi rasayana improves learning and memory in mice, Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2006 Mar;3(1):79-85. Epub 2006 Jan 16.
6. Effects of resveratrol on cerebral blood flow variables and cognitive performance in humans: a double-blind, placebo-controlled, crossover investigation, Am J Clin Nutr 91: 1590-1597, 2010.
7. Is there convincing biological or behavioral evidence linking vitamin D deficiency to brain dysfunction? The FASEB Journal. 2008;22:982-1001.
8. Administration of phosphatidylcholine increases brain acetylcholine concentration and improves memory in mice with dementia, J Nutr. 1995 Jun;125(6):1484-9.
9. The psychopharmacology of huperzine A: an alkaloid with cognitive enhancing and neuroprotective properties of interest in the treatment of Alzheimer’s disease Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 2003 Jun;75(3):675-86.
10. Biomarkers of Folate and Vitamin B12 Are Related in Blood and Cerebrospinal Fluid, (Clinical Chemistry. 2007;53:326-333.)
11. Citicoline: neuroprotective mechanisms in cerebral ischemia, Journal of Neurochemistry, Volume 80 Issue 1, Pages 12 – 23
About the Author
Nutricap Labs is a full service vitamin supplement manufacturing service. We primarily manufacture nutritional tablets, capsules, powders, liquids and creams, but we also offer label and packaging design services and order fulfillment services to our customers.